The Division of Biology will again sponsor awards to its graduate students based on their record of scholarly achievements at the University of Tennessee. The awards are in the amount of $3,000 each (less taxes). In addition to the monetary award, recipients have their names recorded on the plaque displaying each year’s awardees.
The competition is open to all graduate students recruited into the departments within the Division (BCMB EEB and Microbiology) and the Graduate School of Genome Science and Technology. The exceptions are last year’s awardees. It is an award based on achievements at UTK. Therefore, students early in their graduate study at UTK should realistically consider whether their record of accomplishments merit the effort to complete an application.
An application for the award shall consist of the following:
- Current curriculum vitae (including a listing of grants, travel awards, other recognition that has occurred while at UTK);
- Statement by the student describing their research and its contribution to their discipline (limit three pages);
- Three letters of reference (to be sent directly to the Division office, fax 865-974-4057) one of which should be from the student’s major professor, the other two from individuals familiar with the student’s work, especially while at UTK (names of references should be included with the application);
- Copy of their UTK transcript (may be a student issued copy)
- Copies of reprints, including published abstracts, of work completed at UTK other evidence of accomplishments (such as summary teaching evaluations, letters of thanks for some outside activity, etc.).
These materials should be submitted to the Division of Biology Office (Attention: Science Alliance Committee) by 4 PM on Tuesday March 24, 2008.
The judging committee will be asked to evaluate applications based on the following criteria:
- The scope, significance and balance of achievements while at UTK inclusive of grants, publications, other awards);
- The potential for future growth as evidenced by accomplishments while a student.